Thursday, March 30, 2006

Book Recommendation

I have to recommend any book that says you have to spend time dreaming most days. Terry Brooks' Sometimes the Magic Works is like Novel Writing 101 about the mindset it takes to write a novel. Or maybe I just admire him because he writes huge honking novels AND they get published. He freely admits that had he started writing recently, his earlier stuff wouldn't cut the mustard. But he is in his sixties and still learns and used his imagination. How many sixty year olds still do that? It doesn't take much imagination to pull the slot machine handle, which is the family legacy I have.

But so much of my writing time this week has been re-visioning some of my key scenes. I'm hoping to get this all done by the end of April and I really think I'm on track. Then on to bigger and better things. Right?

1 comment:

CottonSr said...

The ones that pull the slot machine handle at 60 are the ones that did it at 20.

I just read too that women, the study was about them for some reason, that spent their young adult years and beyond watching soaps all day have very poor memory retention as they grow older, in comparison.

I know some, including my high school sweetheart, that hit the nail on the head. We would talk old times, still do, and she either doesn't remember anything, or has totally rewritten history. I do have good mental retention, at least everyone says so, but she makes me feel like a genius and all these years later I do wonder what I ever saw.

I guess hormones speak louder than words.