Monday, October 10, 2005

A Purse Driven Life - A Bag Lady's Tale

I think that's looking like the title of my NaNoWriMo novel. Of course that could change, but I'm liking the idea now. My first idea was something I've already worked on a bit, like a couple of pages of really bad writing. Really bad, the main character bored even me. If I don't want to spend time with a character, I doubt a reader would. So, I thought I would start over on the chemical plant thriller. But since NaNoWriMo should really be brand spanking new really bad fiction, I decided to try this new idea.

I know, a Christian Writer had an advice book by just about the same title.The Purse-driven Life: It Really Is All About Me by Anita Renfroe. I haven't read it, but I did read a few pages on Amazon. It looked fairly interesting and I'm sure Anita is a wise and witty woman. But it is nonfiction, and since A) I haven't seen it on the best seller list anywhere, and B) Titles aren't copyrighted, I think I'll snag the title. Because it so fits my idea. As much as I'd like to use her subtitle, I'll not steal that too. Gotta have some originality.

But, the story:

A woman dies and her daughter and niece find over fifty purses in her closet. Her life is then told in relation to some of the purses that the women remember the older woman owning. Not a spiritual growth book in any way, more like catharsis. But not really, because my book will be FICTION and certainly NOT based on any mothers I may have known in ANY way. So don't get any ideas, it's NOT a memoir. And if you accuse me of writing about actual events, I will put you in the book and my friend, it won't be pretty.

I still need to do some important research. I only own one purse. Off to the mall!

3 comments:

Hypergraphia said...

Soup - I can't believe you only own one purse!! If you want to borrow any of mine for inspiration, let me know! I've also seen some strange ones that I could describe for you!! This sounds like a great story!!

Anonymous said...

I really like your idea--and I really like your writing style.

I found you on the Nanowrimo sight--I signed up to write this year for the first time. I signed up yesterday on the spur of the moment--it ought to be fun.

Joanne Brokaw said...

Found you at NaNoWriMo - LOVE the title. Use it as a working title and go from there. Love the idea. Christian writers can write good clean fiction that isn't a sermon, so I say go for it.
Saw your post about Painted Deserts. I'm waiting for my review copy - can't wait.
All the best
Joanne Brokaw
www.joannebrokaw.com