Saturday, January 14, 2006

Quote of the Day

You know it's really bad when the only reason you log onto your very own blog is that you want to read the quote of the day. As if the eight that get emailed straight to me each day aren't enought. I am a quote junkie.

I started a word document a few years ago of assorted writing quotes, mostly fun and inspirationl. It's up to about fifty pages now. And I still open it up and read around. Since it's Saturday, thought I'd share a few of my favorites. Then I'm going for a nice six mile run, because it's just too pretty outside to sit in the cave all day.

I call my office a cave. It was my mother's bedroom when she was alive, but now it has my desk and file cabinets and her $3,000 adjustable bed (with massage unit) that seems to be unsellable. But it's a great place to stack things. The room is a cave because it's 16x16 with one (ONE!) window, the smallest allowed by the building code. CAVE!

I promised quotes:

"Every compulsion is put upon writers to become safe,
polite, obedient, and sterile."
--Sinclair Lewis

"Nothing gives an author so much pleasure as to find
his works respectfully quoted by other learned authors."
--Benjamin Franklin

Autobiography is an unrivaled vehicle for telling the truth about other
people.
-- Philip Guedalla

People who throw kisses are hopelessly lazy.
-- Bob Hope

Traditions are group efforts to keep the unexpected from happening.
-- Barbara Tober

Nothing much happens in Jane Austen's books, and yet, when you come
to the bottom of the page, you eagerly turn it to learn what will
happen next. Nothing very much does and again you eagerly turn the
page. The novelist who has the power to achieve this has the most
precious gift a novelist can possess.
--W. Somerset Maugham

I'll post some more the next time I have nothing good of my own to say.

No comments: