Friday, April 21, 2006

Ouch...

A satirist is a man who discovers unpleasant things about himself and
then says them about other people.
-- Peter McArthur


Of course, I'm not a satirist, nor do I play one on television. But if the offer came up, I wouldn't pass it up. Maybe I should call myself a sarcastist. Not a word, but others have made up words, so why not.

A televsion ad for some home improvement store said that if I buy their products, I wouldn't have to be a great gardener to have a great garden. Wouldn't that be cool if it worked for writing? You don't have to be a great writer to write a great book. Just sprinkle wordweed and plot feed on, and all those pesky adjectives and adverbs will shrivel up and die, while your plot grows strong and your characters robust. Although, I guess that robust characters would almost guarantee a strong plot, just by force of their personalities. That's the hope anyway. Then you add water, and poof. Don't need to be a great writer. Hmmm, sounds a bit formulaic... But wouldn't be great if you could get it at the Writers' Store with the rest of the things that are guaranteed to help you sell your next book.

Yeah, just ordered two boxes of wordweed&feed, along with a case of talent. UPS should deliver it next Tuesday, along with the cereal we're supposed to be sampling for a consumer survey...



When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it -
don't back down and don't give up - then you're going to mystify a lot
of folks.
-- Bob Dylan

No comments: